→ 26 Jan 13 at 10 am
‘Hacktivist movement Anonymous has hijacked the US Sentencing Commission website as a personal vendetta to retaliate against the justice system that threatened to imprison web activist Aaron Swartz, who recently committed suicide, for decades.
The website was hacked early Saturday and a message was placed saying that “a line was crossed” when Swartz killed himself two weeks ago.
“Two weeks ago today, Aaron Swartz was killed. Killed because he faced an impossible choice. Killed because he was forced into playing a game he could not win — a twisted and distorted perversion of justice — a game where the only winning move was not to play,” the statement read.
Screenshot from www.ussc.gov
Anonymous now threatens to release secret information that they have reportedly copied from several governments’ computer systems they were able to access.
The hackers also put up their video statement and a list of files named after US Supreme Court justices on the hacked website.
Earlier, Anonymous gained access to MIT’s website and the Department of Justice, DOJ.gov website, using distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks to avenge the passing of Swartz.
Aaron Swartz, who co-founded both the website Reddit and the activism organization Demand Progress, was due to appear in federal court during the coming weeks because the United States says he illegally downloaded millions of academic papers from the website JSTOR, presumably for public distribution, while logged onto the computer network of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. If convicted, Swartz could have been sentenced to upwards of 35 years in prison and a US$1 million fine.
The 26-year-old Harvard fellow openly discussed his bouts with depression in the past, but Swartz’s parents and advocates alike have suggested that a serious legal fight that has dominated the activist’s life in recent years played a role in his passing.
In a statement published shortly after his death, the activist’s family said, “Aaron’s death is not simply a personal tragedy. It is the product of a criminal justice system rife with intimidation and prosecutorial overreach. Decisions made by officials in the Massachusetts US Attorney’s office and at MIT contributed to his death.”
Others, including Kim Dotcom, the founder of the now-defunct file-storage site Megaupload, also believe that Aaron Swartz became a political target, and that is what led to his tragic death.
“There is no reasonable cause behind going after a young genius like him in the fashion they did,” Dotcom told RT in an interview.’
- torches--together likes this
- waluijitime likes this
- revelation-of-a-cryptic-nation reblogged this from synchronisticpatterns
- revelation-of-a-cryptic-nation likes this
- beautifulpantomime reblogged this from occultagendas
- beautifulpantomime likes this
- occultagendas reblogged this from anti-propaganda
- tiny--p-i-x-i-e reblogged this from pfowolf
- nonoya reblogged this from america-wakiewakie
- norman-reedus-rocks likes this
- majoringlife reblogged this from anti-propaganda
- mezzanotte-circus likes this
- marcohasamagicaltongue reblogged this from america-wakiewakie
- synchronisticpatterns reblogged this from anti-propaganda and added:
- tortillaguy reblogged this from anti-propaganda
- camjgogmotives reblogged this from anti-propaganda
- elcocainusmanofblades reblogged this from disco-harlot
- elcocainusmanofblades likes this
- lsdementia likes this
- imnotbrownenough reblogged this from oohhcomely
- jlnlcy reblogged this from maxlibertarios
- jipc likes this
- neon3ko reblogged this from anti-propaganda
- grodybabe likes this
- emptycitys likes this
- anok4uok reblogged this from anti-propaganda
- pablo-jose-666 reblogged this from priceofliberty
- timelessdrift likes this
- neauface likes this
- darthstudious reblogged this from anti-propaganda
- kp777 reblogged this from america-wakiewakie
- justputbobinfrontofcharlie reblogged this from anti-propaganda
- mopos reblogged this from anti-propaganda
- 90spizzawithextraska reblogged this from three-shots-of-confidence
- guerrillatech likes this
- noitomniyrteop reblogged this from oohhcomely
- themovedmind likes this
- tombofthracians likes this
- kaffeinated likes this
- my-necktie-is-asleep reblogged this from anti-propaganda
- oohhcomely likes this
- oohhcomely reblogged this from america-wakiewakie
- expectativasdeumaviciada reblogged this from devilshope
- pfowolf reblogged this from america-wakiewakie and added:
- awake-n likes this
- devilshope reblogged this from disco-harlot
- jacksrevlimiter reblogged this from priceofliberty
- three-shots-of-confidence reblogged this from disco-harlot
- ladylilith333 likes this
- rustyslammington reblogged this from disco-harlot